Tuesday, March 27, 2007

This Little Light

I was driving into Minneapolis one evening, enjoying the jewel box that is the city at night. Gazing at a particular building it occurred to me that all I was looking at was someone's office window. There was probably just a boring gray cubicle inside where someone cranks out their daily grind. A very ordinary place. Yet grouped with all the other lights, so beautiful. The thought came to me that maybe that's how our lives are. God calls so many of us to service that seems mundane and commonplace. Raising children, visiting neighbors, ushering at church. And from our small perspective, these things might seem drab and boring. But when we can see the work of all the church from the perspective of eternity, each little light will join with the others to form a shining, sparkling, scintillating masterpiece that will put the Milky Way to shame.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great reflection and analogy. I appreciate the reminder that no service is insignificant when rendered in His name.

Tuesday's Child said...

I can see the lights of the city out my kitchen window in the winter time and my upstairs window year-round. I think Minneapolis has one of the most beautiful skylines in the US (but I'm biased). I have actually thought along those lines before, wondering if anyone is up there, still working, all alone. Deep thoughts . . .